IMPROWARE is part of the Sustainable Water Integrated Management Programme (SWIM), a Regional Technical Assistance Programme launched by the European Commission to contribute to the extensive dissemination and effective implementation of sustainable water management policies and practices in the Southern Mediterranean Region.
IMPROWARE ultimate goal is to promote innovation and best practices for protecting water resources in Mediterranean coastal areas through re-injection of treated water.
As one of SWIM five demonstration projects, IMPROWARE pursues the following objectives in Egypt and Tunisia:
- identifying the existing and forthcoming threats to water resources;
- identifying best practices and solutions to tackle the water scarcity problem;
- adopting a more appropriate water consumption and water use model;
- designing and implementing sustainable water management policies at national level and within the ENPI Mediterranean region, in harmony with EU policies and with other international initiatives and agreements.
- Contracting Authority: European Commission
- Sustainable Water Integrated Management (SWIM) – Demonstration Projects
- CONTRACT NO. 2011/269-791
- Budget line 19.080101 “European Neighbourhood and Partnership (ENP) financial co-operation with Mediterranean countries”
- Reference: EuropeAid/131046/C/ACT/Multi
- Title of the action: IMPROWARE – INNOVATIVE MEANS TO PROTECT WATER RESOURCES IN THE MEDITERRANEAN COASTAL AREAS THROUGH RE-INJECTION OF TREATED WATER
- Location(s) of the action: Coastal areas of Nubariya, Egypt, and Korba, Tunisia.
- Name of the applicant: Italian Ministry of the Environment, Land, and Sea Nationality of the applicant Italy